Lori I. Barkus, Esq.
Of Counsel Family Law Attorney
Florida (Admitted 1998): Attorney Registration No. 148441
District of Columbia (Admitted 1999)
Georgia (Admitted 2006)
Colorado (Admitted 7/2017): Attorney Registration No. 50998
District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Supreme Court of Georgia
Supreme Court of Florida
Colorado Supreme Court
Bachelor of Arts (B.A. 1995, with Honors), University of Miami, Coral Gables
Juris Doctor (J.D. 1998, Cum Laude), University of Miami, Coral Gables
Florida: Circuit Civil Mediator, Florida Supreme Court, 2004; Family Law Mediator, Florida Supreme Court, 2007; Guardian Ad Litem, Seventeenth Judicial Circuit, March, 2008; Residential Foreclosure Mediator, April, 2010; Guardian Ad Litem Certification, October, 2013.
- Advanced Mediation Training October, 2005.
- Introduction to Collaborative Law- Chip Rose, November, 2005.
- Interdisciplinary team training- Collaborative Law Institute of Georgia, January, 2006.
- Guardian Ad Litem- Seventeenth Judicial Circuit (Florida), March, 2008.
- Florida Family Law Guardian Ad Litem training, pilot program October, 2013.
Family Law Litigation (9/2017 – Present), Westminster, Colorado: Of Counsel to Martin Law Firm — Brett W. Martin, P.C., a Colorado Professional Corporation. Practice emphasizing family law matters, collaborative law and mediation.
Family Law Practitioner (9/2005 – Present), Hollywood, Florida & Westminster, Colorado: Owner of BarkusLaw. Family law practice concentrating in the areas of divorce, alimony, modifications, timesharing, child support and paternity matters, civil and family law mediation, family law litigation, collaborative family law, domestic and international adoption and mediation.
Reported Litigation & Appellate Cases:
Bravo v. Hoover Industries, 978 So. 2d 835 (Fla. 3d DCA 2008).
Cordell v. Cordell, 30 So. 3d 37 (Fla. 3d DCA, 2010).
Marquez v. Carvajal, 3D15-1327 (July 13, 2016).
Part-Time Teaching Positions:
Adjunct Professor (March 2008 – August 2011), University of Miami Paralegal Studies Program
Memberships & Associations:
- Colorado Collaborative Divorce Professionals
- Florida Bar- Family Law Section.
- Collaborative Family Lawyers of South Florida- Former Member: Board of Directors 2006-2007.
- Florida Academy of Professional Mediators.
- Broward County Bar Association- Alternative Dispute Resolution and Family Law Sections- Legislative Affairs Committee- 2015-2016.
- Leading Women for Shared Parenting- Founding Member.
- Family Law Reform- Advocacy in support of reforming Florida’s alimony statutes, including, but not limited to, participating in submitting draft language to legislative committee, speaking in front of Senate and House of Representatives Committees, attending meetings with Governor Scott’s legislative aides and attending and speaking at rallies and other events- 2013- present.
- Florida For Equal Timesharing- Assisted grass roots organization in drafting proposed legislation concerning Florida’s timesharing (custody) laws, providing guidance concerning current laws and areas to address and attending and speaking at rallies and other events- 2016- present.
- Colorado Mountain Club- Conservation Committee.
- Adoption Law 101: Introduction to Adoption Law, Law Review CLE, 2012.
- Advanced Family Law for Paralegals: Assisting with Alimony Issues, Half Moon Education, Inc., 2012.
- Why Equally Shared Parenting Is Best for Children, Goodmenproject.com, October, 2012.
- Daily Business Review- Board of Contributors:
- Parents Equally Sharing Custody May Be Best For Child, July, 2014.
- Same Sex Marriage Rulings Muddy Legal Waters, September, 2014.
- Long Overdue Alimony Reforms Are Imminent, March, 2015.
- Changes Proposed For Florida’s Alimony, Timesharing Laws, November, 2015.
- Presenter: Alimony Reform, Oakland Park Democratic Committee, September, 2013.
- Presenter: Alimony Reform, Miramar Democratic Committee, August, 2013.
- Presenter: Alimony Reform, Family Law Reform Summit, August, 2013.
- Presenter: Introduction to Adoption Law, Law Review CLE, June, 2012.
- Guest Lecturer: Paralegal Education Course, Family Law, Keiser University, December, 2007.
- Current Perspectives in Collaborative Family Law, Association of Professional Businesswomen, May, 2007.
- Collaborative Divorce- Where are we today?, Palm Beach County Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Seminar, February, 2007.
- Introduction to Collaborative Family Law, North Dade Bar Association, November, 2006.
- Florida Trend Legal Elite: Up and Coming Attorney, 2008.
- Lifestyle Media: Leaders in Law, 2013.
- South Florida Legal Guide: Up and Coming Attorney, 2015 and 2016.
- South Florida Legal Guide: Top Attorney, 2017.